158/158a
In this pre-urban renewal photo of Main Street, left, looking west from the area of Church Street, buildings are from left, the medical building occupied by Dr. J. Chase Rand and Dr. Donald Yorkey at 846 Main St.; the Westbrook Congregational Church, built in 1834, on the corner of Brackett Street; the front of the Brackett Block, built in 1850 and later known as the LaFond Block; next building, barely visible, was 858 Main St., which was vacant but previously occupied by Luis Cidre Shoe Repair; 860 Main St., occupied by Phil’s Pizza; 866 Main St., occupied by Day’s Jewelry Store and the Marshall Studio; Carpenter Street enters Main Street and the next building was 868 Main St., occupied by Temple Lodge No. 86 A.F. & A.M., Hub Furniture Co. and the urban renewal offices. All of the buildings in the photo, with the exception of the medical building, were demolished by urban renewal. A mini mall with several businesses and the CVS store now occupy the site.
Research and photos courtesy of Mike Sanphy
Comments are no longer available on this story