Tours of the historic Scribner’s Mill will be held on the first and third Saturdays of the month for the summer season. The next open house will be on Saturday, June 20, from 1-4 p.m.
The tour includes the mill, where dimension lumber was produced for the local market. The mill is presently producing barrels using 19th century machinery to cut the staves and barrel heads. The barrels are assembled in the coopering area in the mill. Shingles are produced in the long shed.
The Homestead, built in 1849, was the home for five generations of the Scribner family and is interpreted as it appeared in the 1920s when the house was remodeled to provide an indoor bathroom. In the homestead visitors will learn about the Scribner family who operated this local lumber business.
The site, including the barn, ice house and blacksmith shop, holds a large collection of antique mill equipment.
Scribner’s Mill is found one mile south of Bolsters Mills from Jesse Mill Road just across the bridge in the town of Harrison. A minimum donation of $5 is requested per adult. All funds are used for the continued restoration of the site. To schedule a group tour or a school field trip call Nancy Grigg at 647-4459. To arrange for a private tour, call 583-6455.
Comments are no longer available on this story