1 min read

Windham has dozens of bridges. Four of them connect Windham to the town of Gorham – at Mallison Falls, the Little Falls bridge on Route 202 (Main Street), the Great Falls bridge at North Gorham and the Covered Bridge – also called Babb’s Bridge.

Babb’s Bridge was first known as the Hurricane Bridge because the original structure was destroyed by a hurricane in 1767. Depending on who lived nearby, it has also been called Loveitt’s Bridge and Kemp’s (for a short time). It was replaced, probably several times, but the 1843 rebuilding was recorded in Gorham history texts.

The 1843 structure was burned by vandals in 1973 and rebuilt three years later by local historical societies and individuals and rededicated in 1976 as part of the nation’s bicentennial celebration.

Another well-known bridge is the one in the Newhall section of town. On Oct. 17, 1979, the old Gambo Bridge in the Newhall section of town collapsed under the weight of a 10-ton logging truck. It was repaired and rebuilt by August of 1980, but closed again in 1989 after it was declared unsafe for use.

Babb’s Bridge was burned and then restored in the 1970s.Gambo Bridge, before its collapse in 1979.Courtesy photo 

Comments are no longer available on this story