1 min read

POPHAM COLONY
POPHAM COLONY
PHIPPSBURG — The Phippsburg Historical Society will hold its annual meeting on Aug. 27 at 7 p.m. at the Phippsburg Sportsman’s Club, Route 209.

After a brief business meeting, the program will feature John Bradford, local historian, who will discuss the most recent findings at the archaeological dig at the Popham Colony, near Popham Beach.

Bradford has been active in 14 Popham digs organized by Jeffrey Phipps Brain of the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Mass. These have been at England’s 1607 site at Popham Colony (Fort St. George) at the mouth of the Kennebec River.

In 1997, Bradford joined the board of Maine’s First Ship, a nonprofit group devoted to reconstructing the Virginia, built at the colony in 1607-08. The ship crossed the Atlantic at least twice, taking Popham colonists back to England in 1608 and 16 soldiers to Jamestown in 1609.

He became responsible for continuing the research leading to her design in 1999 and in 2004 the ship received Coast Guard approval for her working design. Since 2002, Bradford has taught an eightweek fall course titled “France, England, and the Wabanaki: The Cultural Chaos of 17th Century Maine,” at Midcoast Senior College in Bath.

Following the presentation, refreshments will be served. All are welcome to attend. For more information, call 443- 6309 or 389-1865.


Comments are not available on this story. Read more about why we allow commenting on some stories and not on others.